Pages

Friday, December 30, 2016

I Got Baked in San Francisco - SF Day Trip Part 1 with @winnie.fried

Future employers please disregard title



Winnie and I got baked in San Francisco
This past Monday, I went on a trip to San Francisco with my friends Winnie and Jenny - Winnie also has a food-focused Instagram page, you can follow her at @winnie.fried. So beforehand, we made a plan to visit two bakeries/cafes - Mr. Holmes and Belly Good - and left the lunch option open. Like Miles and Lia, Winnie and Jenny are friends from my time at the Carleton Summer Computer Science Institute, and this is the first time we've met since the trip despite living in the same area. So anyway, our first stop was at Mr. Holmes, which had a deceptively long line. The actual area for customers is small, possibly to force them out into the cold (just kidding), and even though we got there bright and early at 10am, it seemed that their stock of cruffins had either been depleted or not even made yet (you can check this on their website).



Almost into the warm store!!!
With locations in Seoul, LA, and SF, one of the mainstays of the brand is the "I got baked in insert city" signs. The sign itself is a snaking glass tube containing a screaming neon pink that really lends itself to the trendy and modern design of the bakery. The usage of tall glass walls really shows off - the baked goods are contained behind a glass wall and the sole window stretches from the floor to the ceiling. Nice modern music blasts over the speakers, with the bassline of Childish Gambino's new hit Redbone makes its way through the chatter of the bakery. From the cash register, you can get a glimpse of Mr. Holme's impressive baked goods factory (maybe I should ask for a tour). After getting the goods, Winnie and Jenny lined up for photos in front of the sign like the rest of the customers, and I snapped a few good souvenir photos for Instagram.

Donuts!!!
That day, I got what seemed like a matcha-filled donut: it was covered with sugar, and a bit cold. Although the cold part may be a bit divisive, I thought it was great as it meant that I wasn't going to have warm donut filling spilling all over myself early in the morning. While donuts are sweet, these donuts were sweet with the added creamy matcha texture. The fulfilling feeling of biting through the soft dough of a cold, sugar-coated donut and meeting its cream-filled center will leave you coming back for more. If you're going to be in San Francisco for a few days, I would recommend you to visit Mr Holmes Bakery. Photos with the sign are icing on a delicious donut that will surely make your frigid Bay Area morning. Also, across the street from the bakery, there's an alleyway full of bright and colorful graffiti that can make for some pretty interesting backdrops for photos!


You can find me on Instagram as @stumpyeatsfood and on yelp at theplumpcat.yelp.com. If you've got a restaurant recommendation or even a recipe that you think I should try, send it to me at ryanjchen2@gmail.com! Thank you for reading!

A photo posted by Winifred (@winnie.fried) on




No comments:

Post a Comment