Pages

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Indian Pizza! - Tasty Subs and Pizzas in Sunnyvale, CA

Nice and spicy


Have your friends ever agreed to meet up at a place then decide to pull out and move the entire group to another place? Well, that's how this food adventure started out. I was out with my friends after watching Alien: Covenant (spoiler alert: it's scary) and Paras, Athena and I were literally about to order at Teanado (maybe I'll write an article about this place sometime) when Shlok gives me a call and tries to convince me to go get pizza instead of some good bento. I had never heard of "Indian pizza" before, and I wasn't too keen on getting my mouth burned because of how spicy it was, but I decided to trust him and we went off to the next plaza. Just a word of caution: parking in the plaza is pretty rough. It took a slightly shady parking lot move for us to get a spot for Shlok and Nihar but it did the trick (Please note that this blog does not endorse the use of shady parking lot tricks).


From the name and the appearance of the place, you would never have guessed that it was an Indian restaurant. There's a Chaat & Curry spot right next to it, and I initially thought that was where we were supposed to go before Shlok moved us to the right place. In fact, the first time I knew for sure that I was in the right place was when I looked at the menu and saw their 3 Idiots pizza. The name "3 Idiots" is a reference to a very popular Indian movie involving three engineers and their shenanigans during college and a decade afterwards. Anyway, we decided to go ahead with the Dhoom pizza, which consisted of chicken, corn, onions, bell peppers as toppings garnished with cilantro. The sauce contained some spicy chili peppers that totally surprised me when I got it. I was expecting there to be some type of curry on the pizza but was happily surprised to not see any on it. While one would think that this would come together for some hellish mish-mash of peppers and chicken, it actually worked out quite well. I asked my friends what they thought of the pizza and here are a few of their responses:

Athena: "I'm actually enjoying it despite the fact that my mouth is on fire."
Nihar: "It's delicious to the point where I'm full but I'm still eating."
Paras: "An interesting take on pizza!"

I also liked this pizza - and I've had many types of pizza. I've had Malnati's Deep Dish in Chicago, New York dollar slice pizza, an interesting marshmallow pizza and a classic neapolitan pizza in Milan, but none really have tasted like this. I really appreciate this take on pizza, in which  the chef was able to combine two cuisines into one well executed amalgamation. While it definitely was spicy, the mellow crust of the pizza helps soften the blow, allowing you to taste the flavor of the spiciness while only experiencing a little of the intended pain. Even in the fading Friday light, I could feel the heat of an Indian summer in each bite I took. Overall, I would definitely recommend this spot to all who like what their name offers: Tasty Subs and Pizzas.
You can find me on Instagram as @stumpyeatsfood and on yelp at theplumpcat.yelp.com. You can also check out more of my photos on Flickr! If you've got a restaurant recommendation or even a recipe that you think I should try, send it to me at ryanjchen2@gmail.com! Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment