Pages

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Ditch Day! Let's go get some boba, guys! - San Francisco, CA

Classic

BOBA!!!

Every year, around 400 Saint Francis seniors are blessed with an official "Ditch Day" where they go off to the beach to have fun or fish at a nearby lake. But because I run a food blog, I went to eat food in San Francisco. Our plan was for the South Bay people to meet up at the Mountain View station and head up to San Francisco by Caltrain (with Jennifer, the lone East Bay person, heading up by BART), but things kind of went wrong as soon as we started. Our great friend William woke up an hour after we got on the train, so we decided to check the the Museum of Modern Art without him. One of the main purposes of this trip was to get Jennifer some more photos for her Instagram, but the other big one was to check out some great bubble tea. The boba shop we decided to go to was Boba Guys - regarded as one of the best in the city. I just knew I had to check it out.

Excited for boba!
So after our walk around MOMA and reunion with Willy, our group set out to Boba Guys. When we came upon it, I personally was a little shocked. Even though I had read a lot about it, I was still surprised to see that the tiny shop barely held 12 people. Anyway, as we waited in line, I could already see the white walls and floors covered with black bolded letters and their famous anteater sign. I think the only person more excited than me to get in there was Junghyun, who ordered a 16 oz classic milk tea. I ordered a 24 oz. Hong Kong Style. Jennifer went ahead with the matcha strawberry latte and Erin got the matcha latte. I'm usually not the biggest fan of matcha, but this actually looked pretty good! One thing we all agreed on was that the tea was a lot lighter in comparison to the tea at other boba shops; it might be because of the type of milk they used. I think most other boba shops use some heavier creams, while Boba Guys uses (quote from website) "Straus Family Creamery organic milk". I'm not sure how this is better than regular milk, but I'd assume the fat content in the milk is much lower than what is used elsewhere.
Tea Leaf Salad!
After our boba excursion, we hurried to get lunch at Burma Superstar. Sid suggested this one to us, and we decided to check it out (fun fact we learned later: this is where Erin's parents had their first date). So as we got in, we were greeted by a nice hostess who managed to seat our group at a table that could fit us. Sid (and the hostess) both heavily recommended the tea leaf salad, which really did live up to the hype. When it arrived, the guy who brought it mixed it while adding a bit of sauce. The result was amazing - partially crunchy with that slight bitter taste of tea. The “Tofu Tower” was also great, with the spiciness helping to bring the flavor out. Overall, Burma Superstar really helped pull together our trip with a nice sit down meal, and definitely re-energized us enough to get through the Pier 39 maze.
Jennifer excited in the maze!



You can find me on Instagram as @stumpyeatsfood and on yelp at theplumpcat.yelp.com. You can also check out more of my photos on Flickr! If you've got a restaurant recommendation or even a recipe that you think I should try, send it to me at ryanjchen2@gmail.com! Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment