Pages

Monday, November 14, 2016

Torchy's Tacos - Pure Bliss and Pain in Houston, TX

*Continuing my story from last post*
So I eventually made my way to Houston by Megabus (super cheap guys, it's worth it!) and ate at this fabulous restaurant that I'll talk about later. Anyway I toured Rice while I was there and found that it was amazing. The neighborhood Rice is in is right at the border of shiny high rise buildings and a quaint suburban area that really reminds me of Palo Alto and Los Altos. I got a new AirBnb that was actually closer to Rice than my other one, and boy am I glad for that. In the morning, I got to go for a run around the rice campus (~3.3 miles if anyone is curious) and that really helped me get a sense of the campus. Also, being able to walk to my information session from my AirBnb helped me acquaint myself with the campus and surrounding area before my tour. Back to the school though: rice is amazing.My tour guide was filled with energy and led my group through the surprisingly big campus located right in Houston. For my friends from Carleton, the campus was easily two or three times the size of Carleton even when you put in the big grassy patch with the hill and tree.



Anyway, I quickly found out that I really liked the relaxing Texas heat. I'm someone who really likes a bit of humidity mixed in with some heat, so it felt like I was walking through a giant sauna the entire time. No one was in a rush, and the entire scene felt very serendipitous. Walking through Rice village was definitely one of the most relaxing experiences I've had in my life. It also contained the newest addition to my Best Mexican food list: Torchy's Tacos.

I admit it - I was about to walk in to Local Foods, a sandwich shop with locally sourced foods, until I realized that I could get this type of food in California literally anywhere I went. So I did a quick 180 and walked over to Torchy's Tacos. When I got in there, the place was PACKED. The line for both online pick ups and ordering up front pretty much stretched around and met at the back of the store. I ordered the Fried Avocado the first time, and the Mr. Pink, Brushfire, and the Grilled Shrimp. The Mr.Pink was nice and delicious, as was the Grilled Shrimp. They fried the shrimp so its crispy, but the juices are still contained inside. The Mr. Pink was also great, but the worst was the Brushfire. While it tasted good, I couldn't feel my tongue after. Living up to its name, the Brushfire was the spiciest thing I had ever had in my life. As I soldiered through the fiery hell, tears started forming in my eyes. This was the first time any food has come close to making me cry. Overall, if you are ever in Texas and find yourself in front of a Torchy's, get your ass in there and order yourself some of the finest tacos in America.

Experience: 4/5
Food: 5/5
Total: 9/10 This place is fuckin' lit

You can find me on Instagram as @stumpyeatsfood and on yelp at theplumpcat.yelp.com. If you've got a restaurant recommendation or even a recipe that you think I should try, send it to me at ryanjchen2@gmail.com! Thank you for reading!


A photo posted by Ryan Chen (@stumpyeatsfood) on





No comments:

Post a Comment