Pages

Monday, October 10, 2016

Meet Fresh - Cupertino, CA

Great shaved ice spot with modern design, but length of line approaches infinity.


I remember the first time I saw shaved ice - was five, visiting Taipei with my parents. And as we turned the corner, I saw it: the marvelous mango shaved ice. With one glance at the bowl the size of my head filled with about as much shaved ice, cream and mangoes you could pile in it, I fell in love.

Hard.



Every time I went back to Taiwan in the summer, I had to get it: mango shaved ice. I think part of it was that there was a lot of hype surrounding the mango shaved ice in general and last time I went back (2015?) Smoothie House had opened on Yong Kang Street and the mango shaved ice craze officially took off.

Meet Fresh
Even in the Bay Area, shaved ice has found its spot. It has survived all these harsh (in comparison) South Bay winters by hiding away in the dessert menus of various Chinese restaurants such as Sinbala and Red Hot Wok. Over time, shaved ice has made its way around the Bay Area, establishing itself in various dedicated venues.

Then came Meet Fresh. Specializing in Taro, the Taiwanese chain has locations all around the world including Japan, China, Taiwan and Irvine, CA. With their Cupertino location being the first in the Bay Area, naturally things (namely lines) can get a little out of control. After waiting in line for 30 minutes, then waiting for my ice for another twenty, I finally got my Special #1. Topped with taro mochi, regular mochi, boba and red bean, this shaved ice was a pretty solid combo. I have to agree with Meet Fresh's website - their taro mochi is definitely better than most that I've tasted. After mixing the whole mixture together you get spoonful after spoonful of a chillingly sweet treat.
food finally comes

Ultimately, the long wait in line detracted from what is really a great experience in general. With some swanky modern design, delcious snow treats and a beautiful room filled with natural light,I can't really see how this can get better.

Oh wait, did I mention the line?




Food: 4/5
Experience: 3/5 long waits suck!!!!

Overall: 7/10 not bad

You can find me on Instagram as @stumpyeatsfood and on yelp at theplumpcat.yelp.com. If you've got a restaurant recommendation or even a recipe that you think I should try, send it to me at ryanjchen2@gmail.com!

Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment